Hofstra Law Review has a just released edition devoted to the topic of mitigation in capital cases. The edition appears to be an instant classic. The entire edition is online.
This edition has the ABA’s Supplementary Guidelines for the Mitigation Function of Defense Teams in Death Penalty Cases (PDF)
Other articles include :
- Competent Capital Representation: The Necessity Of Knowing And Heeding What Jurors Tell Us About Mitigation (PDF) (John H. Blume, Sheri Lynn Johnson, & Scott E. Sundby)
- Using The Supplementary Guidelines For The Mitigation Function Of Defense Teams In Death Penalty Cases To Change The Picture In Post-Conviction (PDF) (Mark E. Olive & Russell Stetler)
- When Life Depends On It: Supplementary Guidelines For The Mitigation Function Of Defense Teams In Death Penalty Cases (PDF) (Sean D. O’Brien)
- The ABA And The Supplementary Guidelines For The Mitigation Function Of Defense Teams In Death Penalty Cases (PDF) (Robin M. Maher)
- Capital Guidelines And Ethical Duties: Mutually Reinforcing Responsibilities (PDF) (Lawrence J. Fox)
- and numerous articles by legends of the bar, the bench and academia that provide useful discussions of the mitigation function from a variety of perspectives.
[Thanks to the reader who spotted the deadlink it appears to be fixed.]